How successful do you think you are on a scale of 1 to 10? How successful do other people think you are on a scale of 1 to 10?
The truth is that most of us view ourselves as less than we really are because we are taught to. When we were growing up, you were taught to be “modest” and not to brag about ourselves. Instead of being taught that we are great, we are taught that others are better.
How can one person’s success compare to another?
Every person has different goals, values, and beliefs that make us an individual. Just like we can’t compare an orange and apple, we can’t compare ourselves to another. Unfortunately, because we are taught to compare ourselves to others, we often use other peoples success scale to measure our own. This is wrong.
Everyone aspires to be something different. Our aspirations are our success. Therefore, our success is different from person to person. For accuracy in measurement of our success, we must evaluate our own goals, our own values, and our own beliefs in order to evaluate our aspirations (success).
- Rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 for how successful you are right now.
- Write down the 5 most important things in your life.
- Rate each important thing on a scale of 1 to 10.
- Take the ratings of each category and average them out (add all the scores together and divide them by 5)
- Compare the original rating (step 1) with your most important things rating (step 4), what is the difference?
- Comment below with what you found.